GSI Manager and Senior Policy Advisor
Laura is a practitioner, consultant and economist in sustainable development.
She has expertise in energy, subsidies, climate change, ecosystem services and trade. Laura joined IISD in 2013 and is focused on energy subsidies, their social and environmental impacts and management, as part of the Global Subsidies Initiative. She works on subsidies within international agreements and indicators, she leads the Bangladesh country programme and subsidy emissions modelling work. Laura previously worked as the business development adviser for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) on payment for ecosystem services. She was the regional trade adviser for Oxfam International based in Kenya and has worked across East Africa with NGOs, business and government on fair trade. Laura is also a trained and practiced environmental and social auditor. She has worked as an independent consultant with businesses in East and Southern Africa, including with the energy, agriculture and tourism sectors, where she worked to improve standards through industry labels and government regulation. Laura began her career with Oxford Economic Research Associates (OXERA) supporting energy companies in sustainability accounting, emissions modelling, reporting and management.
- Scaling Up Green Energy Finance Swapping Fossil Fuel Subsidies for Sustainable Energy SolutionsThis video by IISD Reporting Services provides an overview of the Bonn side event hosted by GSI, "Scaling Up Green Energy Finance: Swapping Fossil Fuel Subsidies for Sustainable Energy Solutions.". The event focused on how governments can scale up investments in green energy by “making the switch” from fossil fuel subsidies to sustainable energy subsidies.
- Financing Adaptation and Resilience Through Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform and Fuel DutyOn Tuesday, 24 May 2016, the event “Financing Adaptation and Resilience Through Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform and Fuel Duty” took place in Bonn, Germany.
- GHG Emissions Reductions and Fossil-Fuel Subsidy Reform: Measurement and inclusion within INDCsThis 4 ½-minute video covers the links between fossil fuel subsidies, climate change and...
- Maximizing Contributions to Emission Mitigation from Fossil-Fuel Subsidy Reform This short five-minute video covers the issues around the link between fossil-fuel subsidies,...
- Fossil-fuel Subsidies: Building a Network for ActionThis five minute video investigates the issues for civil society organizations from fossil-fuel...